Veterans are eligible for a variety of medical and caregiving services
By GREG DAUGHERTY Published July 29, 2021
Veterans of the U.S. armed services are eligible for a variety of medical and caregiving benefits as they grow older. This article offers an overview of the programs that are currently available, with links to the best official resources for more information about them.
- Older veterans are eligible for medical and other services through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Veterans must sign up for medical coverage and, in some instances, make co-payments based on their income.
- In addition to medical care, veterans can be eligible for nursing home, assisted living, and home-care services.
- Older veterans with certain health issues also may be eligible for higher pension benefits.
- Surviving spouses of veterans are eligible for some benefits as well.